Sunday, December 2, 2012

Changing Times

          The sun moves at approximately 15 degrees/hour across the sky at any given time of the year regardless of the earths positioning in the solar system or the position of the observer.  However, there is a variance in the time it takes for the sun to cross the sky with these factors. Even though we know the sun move across the sky, it does this every day without fail. It almost becomes like it's not really moving in a way.  We adapt to how much the earth changes in a day that we begin to think that the earth really doesn't change.
          In my "Changing Times" series, I experiment with time and try to discover just how much the world changes at any given time.  One moment you may see something and the next it'll be gone.  And yet, we take that change for granted.  We think that it might happen again tomorrow or it'll happen soon enough.  In reality, that same event will never happen again as long as the earth still exists.  If that's the case, why do we continue to take the things we see and feel and touch and experience for granted? Why do we think the world will reproduce another exact beauty or phenomenon? Because it won't. "Changing Times" is about capturing the world once simple photo at a time.  It's an image that can never be replicated, never be recaptured, never be relived.  And I was able to live it at that moment.  Take time to understand and appreciate the world around you.  I'm not saying you have to be one with nature and find your 'chi'; I'm saying see what you can and try to keep it for yourself; like no one else can or will ever experience it again. And try to appreciate that for what it's worth.


           Coming into this project, I decided I wanted to take photos of things that were the same, but different. Initially I wanted to shoot portraits of people and alter them in a way that seemed unreal, but I found a more interesting project instead.
           I wanted to see how much my simple neighborhood would change in 24 hours.  So, I set my tripod on a single spot and took a photo of the same location once an hour on the hour.  This proved to be a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be.  I got little to no sleep the night I decided to start my project.  I started at 12:00 AM Thrusday, November 22nd, 2012. Each hour, I shot one photo on the set tripod, changing my shutter speed and aperture as needed.  I really wanted to be diligent with my picture-taking by taking each photo exactly at the top of the hour.  I found, however, that with a lack of sleep and no patience, it would take a lot more effort than I thought I had.  Reguardless, I pushed through and pulled off 25 images completing a full day of photos from 12:00 AM November 22nd, to 12:00 AM November 23rd.
           The area I chose doesn't have any specific significance.  I chose an area that represents something I see everyday and take for granted.  The loft outside my bedroom facing northwest seemed like a reasonable place.  I wanted to get a full range of a day and that spot seemed to get a lot of action as far as the changing sky was concerned.  And I got exactly what I wanted.
           I decided to post each photo as a dip tic for the viewer to get the full effect of each individual change that happened hour by hour.  Remember, these events will never happen in this same order ever again.  Try to keep that in mind as you browse each image.

12:00 AM - 1:00 AM


2:00 AM - 3:00 AM


4:00 AM - 5:00 AM


6:00 AM - 7:00 AM


8:00 AM - 9:00AM


10:00 AM - 11:00 AM


12:00 PM - 1:00 PM


2:00 PM - 3:00 PM


4:00 PM - 5:00 PM


6:00 PM - 7:00 PM


8:00 PM - 9:00 PM


10:00 PM - 11:00 PM


12:00 AM (day one) - 12:00 AM (day two) 


           Each day is different and a new experience.  Let that be a constant reminder of the ever changing world around you and try not to take something that amazing for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment